Breast Reduction Surgery – Male Gynecomastia
Breast Reduction Surgery – Male
Gynecomastia is the presence of large female like breasts in men & is due to the excessive development of the male breast tissue. Gynecomastia is caused by excess estrogen action and usually is the result of an increased estrogen-to-androgen ratio. The condition is normally due to excess growth of glandular and fatty tissue in the male breast and occurs in roughly 40 to 60% of men. Enlarged breasts on a man however can be uncomfortable, as well as socially and psychologically demoralizing.
In approx. 90% patients, it may be Primary meaning no definite cause can be found. In remaining 10% patients, the causes can range from hereditary factors, hormonal imbalances, obesity, anabolic steroid use, marijuana use, benign or malignant breast tumors, genetic disorders, testicular atrophy, supplemental hormones and other medications and liver disease. Gynecomastia is increased in generalized obesity as a result of increased conversion of testosterone to estradiol in adipose tissue. In one study more than 80% of those with a body mass index (BMI) >25 had gynecomastia.
Surgery to correct gynecomastia can be performed on healthy men of any age. The best candidates for surgery have firm, elastic skin that will reshape to the body’s new contours. Male breast reduction is performed on a daycare basis using general anesthesia. If your gynecomastia is primarily caused by fatty tissue, liposuction is usually the procedure of choice. Liposuction surgery is a procedure used to actually remove unwanted localized deposits of fat cells from the body. A cannula is inserted through a tiny incision placed in an inconspicuous location on the skin. Using a vacuum system attached to the cannula, excess fat cells are sucked out.
If gynecomastia is the result of a glandular disorder, liposuction alone is not likely to be adequate. First liposuction is done to remove fat through the incision placed on the edge of the and then all glandular breast tissue directly under the nipple is removed. If gynecomastia is extreme and large amounts of fat and glandular tissue have to be removed, excess skin may also have to be excised.
Bed rest is required for the first day. A special compression garment will be worn for about four weeks. Within 7 days, all sutures are removed. Most people are able to return to sedentary work within three to seven days, and resume more strenuous activities in two to three weeks time.
The results of the procedure are significant and permanent. Most men who have had surgery for gynecomastia have been very satisfied with the results. Following your breast reduction surgery, you will enjoy a new, more pleasing shape and enhanced self-confidence.